Interested in spending time with the children who are patients at the Lutheran Children's Hospital? Volunteer positions are available from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. seven days a week. Volunteers should be dedicated, love children and be willing to give at least four hours of their time each week. Volunteers must be at least 14 years of age and have completed the eighth grade. Responsibilities as a volunteer in pediatrics may include:
- Feeding and holding babies
- Playing games (board, card, and video)
- Helping children complete art/craft projects
- Playing with children in the playroom
- Taking children on wagon rides
- Talking and listening to older teenagers and parents
- Assisting patients and their families with their needs
To become a pediatric volunteer:
- Call (260) 435-7173 for an interview.
- Complete an application and provide references.
- Complete a 'to do' list that includes a TB test and other health documentation.
- Attend a two-hour orientation program.
- Buy a uniform ($9.70 to $14, depending on size and style).
The entire process, from application to first volunteer assignment, takes about two weeks. We look forward to hearing from you.