Deciding whether or not to breastfeed is one of the most important decisions new parents can make.
Breastfed babies receive optimal nutrition and moms enjoy short- and long-term health benefits.
In turn, the rest of the family benefits as well.
The Birthplace’s breastfeeding support services team helps breastfeeding moms before and after baby is born. This team includes internationally board-certified lactation consultants — registered nurses with advanced training in breastfeeding — and specially trained Birthplace staff whose goal is to make breastfeeding an enjoyable experience for mom, baby and family.
- Prenatal breastfeeding classes
- Visits during the hospital stay
- Outpatient visits by appointment
- Telephone consultations
- Weekly support group
- Educational and resource information
- Electronic pump rental and supplies
- Certified bra fitting (available by appointment)
Counseling and Education
- Benefits of breastfeeding
- Starting early skin-to-skin contact/baby-led feeding
- Positioning and latch
- Maintaining a good milk supply
- How milk transfers to baby
- Hand expression of breast milk and use of a breast pump
- Special mom concerns
- Breast augmentation/reduction
- Working moms
- Help for flat or inverted nipples
- Special baby concerns
- Twins or triplets
- Down syndrome
- Cleft lip or palate